Some schools eliminate Valedictorian, Salutatorian title

At graduation ceremonies, there is a long held tradition of allowing two distinguished students to deliver a speech to their graduating class and graduation attendees. These two students have earned a prestigious title: valedictorian and salutatorian. They are the first and second ranked students in their class, and undoubtedly, these two students—and others like them across the nation, have diligently worked to receive this honorable position.

Some schools, however, are now opting to eradicate this practice in favor of less selective ones. Some schools have chosen to recognize all students with a 4.0 GPA or higher as a valedictorian and allow students who wish to speak at graduation to submit a speech to a speech committee, who would then chose the winner. The competition of valedictorian, some schools have ruled, is unfair. Students are manipulating the system in order to ensure they will receive the reward, choosing classes by how they are weighted rather than their educational value. Additionally, grades are not always fairly compared, as AP classes are weighted differently than regular classes. Athletes may also be at a slight disadvantage, because an athletic course is sometimes weighted significantly less than an academic class. In the past, students and parents have gone so far as to file a lawsuit concerning the fairness of the competition.

On the other hand, schools, students and parents alike say that eliminating the valedictorian and salutatorian would bring more negative consequences than positive. The alternative options are too broad and, failing to recognize work and achievement among distinguished students undermines the effort put forth by those who have excelled in school. Furthermore, without class rank, colleges would have to rely more heavily on standardized test scores when considering future students; standardized test scores are arguably less representative of a student’s intelligence than class rank. Competition in school helps prepare students for the intense competition of real life. Some say the title is well earned and central to the overall purpose of education.

The decision to either keep or do away with valedictorians and salutatorians is a debate that must be decided by considering both the negative and positive effects that it will bring on students, present and future.