College v.s. Work

Statistics show that college is a better choice economically in the long run. Although for some people, vocational and “regular work” might be an option if choosing not to go to college or joining the military. According to NCHEMS Information center, only 52 percent of Texas graduates go directly to college.

In 2010, only 24 percent of ACT-tested high school graduates were deemed college ready in all four subjects. Also, 74 percent of adults with a bachelor’s degree or higher were employed full time, compared to the 65 percent with an associate’s degree, 55 percent with a high school education, and 41 percent of those without a high school diploma. Recently President Barack Obama gave a speech on the importance of more Americans gaining access to higher education, not just at four-year universities but at community colleges and occupational training programs too.

By a number of indicators, hundreds of thousands of high school students are graduating unprepared for college. Studies show more students have been trying to get into colleges via scholarships, which have helped students go on to study what they want to do and what career fields are open to them. Other students who go through a vocational training or enter a job that can eventually promote them into higher positions are successful too. However employers continue to say job applicants with a college degree is more recognizable than someone without one.

Facing facts:

• From 1990 to 2002, the percentage of tenth graders aspiring to college rose 21 percentage points, to 80 percent
    • 6.7 percent of the world’s populations are college graduates
    • 38 percent of all college students in the U.S. are 25 and older, with the majority attending school part time only
    • The U.S. ranks 16th in getting people to complete a college degree
    • Currently there are over 18 million students enrolled at about 5,000 U.S. colleges and universities
    • Today it is over 400 percent more expensive to attend college than it was 30 years ago