Italian feline discovers ruins

In Rome Italy, there are so many ruins, ancient constructions, and grave sights everywhere it’s hard to build new buildings or roads without endangering the artifacts hidden anywhere you turn.  There are still so many undiscovered places and pieces in Rome even stray cats are finding them. Last week, Mirko Curti followed a stray cat that was around his apartment. Curti and a friend kept up with the cat as it lead them to a cave, in which Curti followed by listening to the cat’s meow. Once inside the small place, he realized he was surrounded by bones and niches used by the Romans to hold urns.

Soon after, archeologists were brought to the scene to study the remains of the cat’s findings. Professionals believe that the catacombs date back between 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD. The archeologists also believe that the catacomb opening was just recently revealed from the rain shifting rocks that blocked the entrance previously that week. Romans have been known to use the soft tufa rock to dig tombs in Italy. The soft tufa tombs are threatened today by elements which deteriorate the tombs. Scientists assume that the bones found were originally the upper layer of the catacomb which must have caved in after several years later, the urns full of ashes were at the bottom level where this discovery was made.