Puerto Rico to become part of United States

Puerto Rico has decided in a vote, they might want to change their relations with the United States. There are now almost a million more Puerto Ricans in the United States than on the island.  The island is currently U.S. territories, whose majority population is U.S. citizens but are prohibited from voting in presidential elections. Its resident commissioner in the U.S. House also has certain limited voting powers. The two-part referendum asked were whether the island wanted to change its 114-year relationship with the United States or not. Nearly 54 percent, wanted to change it, while 46 percent, favored to keep things the way they are. A problem that might not be good for the U.S., is that the island has been hit hard by the current recession – it has debts of $68billion and unemployment is more than 13%.President Barack Obama, who visited the island last year, has said he will respect the will of Puerto Ricans if there is a clear majority,  Although any change would require approval by the United States Congress