My first step towards the social life

After some deep thinking, I finally decided the first way I would branch-out of my shy life would be to attend our annual winter formal, or “Silver Ball.” Needless to say I scrounged up a dress and some shoes and made a quick hair appointment at the last minute. Although I had to keep myself from backing out at the last minute, I drug myself to the car and made my way to the Civic Center at eight o’clock. Upon arriving I was bitter and grouchy, avoiding all eye contact hoping that no one would pay me any attention. My date and I sat down quietly, as I glanced and saw friends approaching. I actually enjoyed a short but awkward conversation throughout the awards ceremony. I didn’t even pass out or throw up! Of course as soon as the ceremony was over I quickly left the area to avoid any further conversation. Throughout the rest of the dance I avoided most conversation beside the casual “how are you” or “nice to see you,” but I still felt accomplished for going out on a limb and stepping a couple of steps out of my comfort zone. Although I have to force myself, I am still seeking opportunities to become more social. I think next I will try to seek a personal friendship with someone. Getting to know someone better should be even more uncomfortable that casual conversation.