They call me the conversation bomb

Have you ever overhead an intriguing conversation thinking you could chime in just to put your foot in your mouth?  This is my daily life.  I make taking snippets of conversation out of context look really easy. But of all the times I’ve made people uncomfortable I know the slightest misinterpretation can make all the difference.  Recently I was at work and I overheard one of my coworkers proclaim “I’ve tried everything!” Me thinking he was referring to our menu, respond with “I haven’t tried everything but it all looks good.” Much to my demise, he was boasting about his experimental phase with illegal drugs. With this being the actual meaning, he gave me a look as if I had just grown legs from my back. I would like to think I’m not exactly ignorant or rash but simply different.  I suppose the statement “I’ve tried everything” would make many think of illegal substances right off the bat.  Maybe I just wanted to make my own connection by associating the statement with my job.  Whether I was under thinking or overthinking is one issue, another one I came across was how much more intriguing the conversation is about when I have no clue what the subject is.  A conversation with that sort of mystery keeps me listening from a third person perspective so I can figure out what on earth the conversation is about.  Unfortunately my third person perspective is usually rather limited.  That doesn’t stop me from intruding when it’s too interesting.  I can’t be the only nosy person in the world. You readers have probably fallen into the same situation many times before.  Tell me about it.