Celebrities test CBS Dress Code

The 2013 Grammy Award Ceremony wasn’t such a major night for fashion. CBS Standards and Practices sent the celebrities that were attending a detailed email of what body parts were to be covered, a week prior to the award ceremony. In the email, it was also advised to not wear things with brand names or even activist slogans on their t-shirts.

Their reasoning behind the tight dress code comes from an event that happened almost a decade ago! CBS was fined $550,000 by the Federal Communications Commission for airing a tiny glimpse of Janet Jackson’s breast when her costume slipped at the Super Bowl half-time show in 2004. The Supreme Court upheld the decision of throwing the fine out in June, 2012. Fearful of this happening again, they weren’t so relaxed.

Singer Katy Perry didn’t let that stop her. She wore a Priscilla Presley-inspired mint-green gown by Gucci, completed with a beaded neckline and a tear-drop shaped breast window. Unlike singer Miley Cyrus, Katy didn’t have a wardrobe malfunction that CBS so urgently tried to prevent.

Cyrus was seen on the red carpet at the pregrammy party Feb. 9th sporting jewelry by Lorraine Schwartz and Ofira and a 90’s-esque gown by Emilio Pucci. While the singer casually strutted the red carpet, she accidentally popped out of her dress, exposing some skin in front of the cameras!

Thankfully, there haven’t been reports of fines for the wardrobe mishaps at the Grammy’s 2013.