Electric Cars: Pass or Fail?

Many car companies such as Nissan, Chevrolet, and Toyota have released electric cars. Although some of these vehicles do look like something you would see an alien driving, they do save money and natural resources. But do they really operate like car companies promise? The car companies that have released electric cars, like the ones listed above, all promise their vehicles will operate and run like a normal gas-powered car. However, that is not always the case. Electric cars have clearly not been adequately developed yet; they are no match to a gas-powered vehicle.

Electric cars still have too many flaws to become a mass-produced product. First of all, they are still a fairly new product, so they have many kinks and glitches that need to be worked out. Besides that, they are much more expensive than gas-powered cars. In fact, most of them are about 20,000 dollars more than a moderately priced gas-powered car! Most people will say, “Well if it is worth the money, I’ll still buy it!” That is the problem. They aren’t worth the extreme prices, mainly because of their driving range. Every electric car that has gone into production has had an extremely little driving range on a charge. If you ever needed to do any long distance driving, your electric car would definitely fail you there. And by long distance I do not mean long road trips, I mean making more than a 30 or 40 mile trip.

Electric cars could become a reliable source of transportation in the future, but one thing is for sure, they are not ready to compete with gas-powered vehicles yet.