Pope steps down as head of Church

85-year old Pope Benedict  XVI announced that he doesn’t have the strength to fulfill his duties and is to resign on the evening of February 28. This situation calls for a conclave in March to elect the next Catholic leader.

Although Benedict said in the past that he would resign if he became inferior to handle the tasks that his title called for, the announcement came as a surprise in Latin during a meeting of Vatican cardinals. This makes him the first pope since Pope Gregory XII (who stepped down in 1415) to resign. He also said he is fully aware of the gravity of his decision.

Like the situation in 2005 when Benedict was elected, there is no obvious man in the lead to hold the next Pope position. Since you have to be a cardinal and under the age 80 to vote, there will only be about 117 votes cast in the upcoming conclave. The Sistine Chapel is the location of choice for the meeting. The results are ultimately announced by the color of the smoke that’s released from the chimney after all is said and done. If the smoke remains white, they did not add chemicals to it and the conclave resulted in electing a new pope. If the smoke is black, the conclave has had a disagreement, and a pope has not been elected.

Church rules state that the conclave is to be between 15 and 20 days after the papacy becomes empty. Since Benedict didn’t pass away, there isn’t a mourning period to endure, so the Holy See wishes to have a confirmed replacement before the start of Holy Week, beginning March 24. A set date for the conclave has not been released yet.