The perfect top knot for bad hair days

As I walk the halls, I see a lot of girl sporting some glamorous “up do’s” and I see others sporting what seem to be a failed attempt at a messy top knot, bun thing. It’s okay though, we all have those days! I seem to have those days more than others (but I won’t mention that). However, I am here to teach you how to make a decent top knot for those days you don’t really have time to do anything with your hair but still want to look effortlessly put together.

Top knots can work for medium length and long length hair as long as you don’t have too many layers. Start with dry hair, but don’t straighten or curl it. Brush through your hair if it is knotty; if not then leave it alone. You want it to look a little messy. If you have any styling cream such as mousse or anti frizz now is the time to apply a little and work it through your hair. Avoid using too much or you might make your hair look greasy. If you don’t have anything, then that is okay just make sure your hair isn’t super frizzy. Separate your hair into two sections (top and bottom) and twist one into a bun on top of your head. Don’t place it too high up but also don’t place it too low. Once you’ve got your top knot in your desired place pin it with bobby pins and start to wrap the other section of hair around the bun. Again, secure that section of hair around your bun with bobby pins. If it looks too ballerina for you then you can pull some small sections out of your bun to make it look messier.

Wolla! You’re done and your hair looks effortless and cute. You can add some additional barrettes to your bun to give it a little bling or you can pin a cute bow in right underneath the back of your bun to make it look super girly and adorable.

View Comments (1)