Senior strives for greatness

Senior John Stephens and Coach Norman talk during a tennis match this past fall season.

Kelly Webb

Kelly Webb

Brailey McMinn, Editor-in-Chief

The activity period bell rings, and the all-knowing buzz of the intercom starts up. Students quietly listen as he says, “Good morning Raiders. If you could please stand with me as we say the pledges.” After the pledges, he gives the announcements and then heads back to class.

Senior John Stephens lives a busy life as a member of the varsity tennis team and as the student body president. Stephens gives the announcements every day and helps out with most school events.

“I help out with a lot behind the scenes with the majority of events that go down at Randall,” Stephens said. “My favorite thing about being student body president is helping out with teacher appreciation gifts and stuff like that. The teachers do a lot for us students, and it feels good to give them something in return, even though it may be small.”

Stephens said he decided to run for student body president to get out of his comfort zone.

“I hated doing anything in front of a group of people,” Stephens said. “I was self-conscious about what people would think if I messed something up. As the student council president, I am forced to do certain things, such as the announcements and leading student council meetings. A big thing for me was talking in front of the entire student body at the homecoming assembly.”

Stephens is also involved in tennis, and plays in the number three spot on the boys’ varsity tennis team.

“I started tennis in seventh grade,” Stephens said. “My favorite thing about tennis is having Coach Norman as my coach, along with being on a team. For the remainder of the year I look forward to being able to play tennis and helping out with more student council events.”

Stephens said his favorite thing about Randall is how accepting everyone is.

“Now after doing all of this stuff for the school and student council, I don’t really care what people think of me,” Stephens said. “I am more comfortable in front of people.”