Inauguration Day

As the new year approaches after a very heated election, a new president is about to take office. Back in November, it was announced that Donald Trump will be the 45th president of the United States.

The day of inauguration currently is Jan 20, but actually in the past the day of inauguration took place in March before it was changed by the 20th amendment. Now, every inauguration takes place in January.

On this following Friday, Trump will be sworn into office under the administration of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and say the oath, “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the constitution of the United States.” This oath can be found in article 2, section 1 of the constitution. During the oath the president is expected to lay his hand on the bible but actually there were two presidents who didn’t swear their oath on the bible. These two presidents were Theodore Roosevelt, and John Quincy Adams.

The day of inauguration is a time to celebrate and welcome a new president to lead the country. The day begins with a private breakfast followed by a prayer service. Around noon the swearing-in ceremony will take place and then oath of office and inaugural address will follow the ceremony. At the swearing in, Jackie Evancho, former America’s Got Talent contestant will perform. Throughout the day performers of opposite music genres will perform for the new president in order to welcome him to office.

Before the extensive inaugural ball, the new president is expected to attend a luncheon, a review of military forces, and the famous inaugural parade. After Trump attends those, he is expected to attend both inaugural balls. One will be held at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and the Armed Services Ball will be at the National Building Museum. As the new president, Trump will attend both of these balls.

Finally, on Saturday the official inauguration celebration will end with a national prayer service. This prayer service is hosted by the Washington National Cathedral.

According to the inaugural committee spokesman, Boris Epshteyn, Trump will have a shorter parade and attend fewer balls because he wants to immediately start working in the office.

Considering the majority of Americans are not in Washington D.C. to witness this holiday, the inauguration will be broadcasted on all major news channels, and online.

Inauguration Day itself is an exciting holiday to celebrate, but this year it will provoke more excitement from people along with resentment from others that will lead to other protests, like the ones that have been going on around the country. Trump is going into office with a very unpopular opinion from the public, so obviously everyone will be intrigued to watch to see how he handles it.