Students, teachers clash over dress code regulations

Every day is a battle between the dress code conscious teachers and the students that are more ‘creative’ in their clothing choices. Whether shorts are ‘too short’ or pants are ‘too saggy’, adolescents constantly fight for their right to ultimately express themselves through clothing. And teachers will always try their hardest to ensure every student follows the rules, but why does it matter so much to them? Many students ask ‘why should my clothing matter to anyone else but me?  Teachers share their opinions on why dress codes are vital in the learning environment.

All teachers are expected to enforce the dress code, but specific teachers are known to be less lenient about it than others. English teacher Sue Hair said the dress code “keeps us modest.”

“It keeps us all decent in the way we dress at school,” Hair said. “[It is not necessary] to demonstrate our sexual prowess by displaying body parts that normal people don’t want to see which deteriorates the learning environment and causes teachers to throw up in their trash cans after the passing period.”

The dress code states that shorts must be at least finger tip length and that shirts must have straps a minimum of two inches thick. Along with hats, scarves and bandanas are not to be worn on heads. English teacher Tammy Fritz said that if the school has policies, it’s a given that those policies be followed.

“People need to know what their boundaries are,” Fritz said. “If we have a specific dress code, the students then understand what’s expected of them and what those boundaries are.”

Another rule enforced by the dress code is that any necklines must be even with the armpits. English teacher Lea Ann Hill said she sees the dress code as preparation for the real world after high school, and that the dress code brings order. “It brings respect for the rules and procedures,” Hill said. “It makes everything simpler. It’s much easier to teach a compliant kid rather than someone who’s not. For some kids, it’s a battle. You give a kid and inch and they’ll take a mile.”

View Comments (2)