Raidership exemplifies leadership skills

Raidership students speak to superintendents from all over Texas about Randall High School.

At Randall there is a unique program called Raidership, run by principal Steven Singleton. It is a group of students who are taught leadership skills and participate in activities to positively impact the community and school.

“As a campus, we have always had leaders and leadership,  and always will,” Singleton said. “Raidership brings all of those leaders together to get better.  It also provides an opportunity for us to develop and grow in our soft skills.  I think that anytime we can learn to work together and communicate effectively while gaining vital soft skills that help us in our lives beyond high school, you need to continue it.”

Students join Raidership from nominations by their club or group sponsor. Teachers are only allowed to nominate two people from a club or group.

Sophomore Rylee Hoelting is a varsity cheerleader who is also very involved in the Raidership program. She joined the first semester of her freshman year and will continue in the program throughout high school. Her cheer coach, Tarran West, nominated her to be put in. Hoelting said West thought she showed signs of leadership skills and wanted to nurture and build on that.

“My favorite thing about Raidership is the people,” Hoelting said. “It is such an uplifting community of creative students who constantly build one another up.”

Raidership provides not just Hoelting, but all of the students involved with many opportunities to grow as leaders and carry the things they have learned into their adult life.

Raidership also does a variety of things that impact our community such as going to the feeder schools and getting them excited to become a Randall Raider, or getting our student section at our sporting events hyped up.

Raidership just recently went to City View Elementary to help out with the color run. Randall students were the ones to spray the kids with the colorful chalk as they were running.

“I loved the color run because it makes me so happy to see all of the little kids’ faces light up,” Hoelting said.

Another member of the program is senior Promise Sherwood. She plays varsity basketball, is on the varsity track team, and is homecoming queen. She has been in Raidership for the past 2 years.

“I love being in Raidership because I love being seen as a leader and someone to look up to,” Sherwood said. “It gives people a want to be more a part of the school and other students.”

Sherwood will continue with Raidership until she graduates this upcoming spring and is excited to see what the program will continue to do.

As a whole, Raidership shows up and shows out for our students and gets them excited to be a part of the community Randall has built.