The ideal exercise

There are two types of exercise: cardio and strength. Cardio is any exercise that involves a lot of movement and works your heart. Strength training is the use of resistance to build muscle.  According to women’s health, strength training is more beneficial if you want to burn fat and have a lot of confidence. Cardio is helpful if you want to decrease stress, live longer, and “stay off the sideline.”

There comes a time in our lives when we all decide that we don’t exercise enough. Perhaps after watching an entire TV series in a weekend or just finishing up a colossal piece of chocolate pie. Once you hit this realization, it’s important to know how to go about exercising. Do you want to look buff or skinny? After asking myself this question, I had a very hard time deciding the answer. All I know is that I’d like to look like the next Miss America…whoever it may be.

However, it is nearly pointless to pursue this goal, as one cannot simply grow 6 inches taller on command. Instead, I am faced with a decision: cardio or strength? Usually girls pick the former and boys the latter. Females have a more difficult time keeping off fat simply because of their slower metabolism. Males prefer mountains of muscle, as seen on Chris Evans (more commonly known as Captain America).

The internet is bursting with ideas on what is the best way to work out. Most of the suggested workouts include both cardio and strength training. Perhaps it is because nobody wants to make a decision between anorexia and body building. Instead we want to eat a lot of dessert and still be a happy medium. Whatever the case, you can’t go wrong if you get off the couch and give me 50 push-ups.