Prom should be classy, not trashy

Prom- This word elucidates visions of limos, nice dinners, a night of dancing, a romantic invite and fancy dresses. This rite of passage is a tradition that has been a part of high school for as long as anyone can remember. While this formal is a great way to show of your style and leave a final flair for your high school class to remember you by, this event should not be adorned with risqué dresses that do not follow school dress code.

Dresses should be school appropriate. That is the bottom line. All those cutouts and bare backs may be cute, but they do not follow school dress code. Prom is a school event and as such should have the same standards as a school day. Skirt length is also a problem considering that many girls like to wear the equivalent of booty shorts in dress form. Girls should keep in mind that prom is a night of dancing and fun. A person’s prom dress should reflect that.

Dresses should be classy. This isn’t to say that girls can’t wear a little more modern dress, but they shouldn’t choose to wear something that is edgier than needful. Prom is an elegant event. As aforementioned it is about limos and romance. A dress should be elegant as well.

A prom dress is a way to express oneself. Girls, when buying your dress you should seriously think about how you are going to express yourself. Just because the shredded dress is different doesn’t mean that it is for you. Find a dress that matches you, but keeps it classy like our school motto. A prom dress is what everyone sees and remembers. Everyone should think about how they want to be remembered.

It is understandable that many girls believe it is their final senior right to wear whatever they want to prom, but it is also the other people at prom’s right to not be exposed to unnecessary skin. Imagine being at prom. The perfect night, the perfect date, perfect everything. Everyone is dancing out on the floor. Bodies are moving and everyone is laughing. You want to have a great time but  as soon as you move too much things start popping out of straps and you constantly have to pull your skirt down. Does this sound fun? Not really. So just remember. Keep it modern, but keep it classy. Prom is not an event to throw everything to the wind. Everyone should enjoy their last rite of passage.