Why Critics Hate the ‘Five Nights At Freddy’s’ Movie

The movie adaptation of Five Nights At Freddy’s, a beloved video game, premiered on Oct. 27 in theaters and on Peacock. Fans loved the movie, including myself, but critics hated it. It got a 29% critically on Rotten Tomatoes, but fans gave it an 88%.

Many fans were quick to ask why the critic rating was so low, and I think I have the answer. First, you need to know the backstory of the movie. The FNAF video game came out in 2014 and quickly grew a huge following with more than six main line games. The movie adaptation was announced way back in 2015. The creator of the game, Scott Cawthon, wanted to make a movie for the fans, so he went through many scripts because he wanted to keep it as close to game as possible.

Critics complained that the movie was bland, boring, and not scary. The reason I think critics hate the movie is because they aren’t able to understand it. In order to be able to enjoy the FNAF movie, you have to be a fan of the games to walk away loving this movie. So, critics who had no basic knowledge of the game’s story wouldn’t understand it. There are so many cameos and things that the fans love, but for someone who has never played the games, they would think it’s very boring. Also, it is listed in the horror genre, and fans know it is more story-driven than scary.

As a true FNAF fan, this movie is worth the watch and does the game justice.

View Comments (6)