Movie Review: “Anyone But You”

Anyone But You movie poster
Anyone But You movie poster

The new 2023 American movie Anyone But You is a romantic comedy directed by Will Gluck. The movie first appeared on screen in December of 2023 and has become a fan favorite. 

The movie starts with Bea, acted by Sydney Sweeney, and Ben, acted by Glen Powell, meeting in a coffee shop. They immediately have a connection and end up spending the rest of the day with each other. Bea returns the next morning, only to overhear a conversation between Ben and his best friend Pete, played by GaTa, who insults Bea.

Ben and Bea run into each other again when Bea’s sister gets engaged to Pete’s sister.  Once arriving at the wedding guest house, the two’s constant arguing quickly aggravates the other people in the house. 

Bea’s ex-fiancée, Jonathan, played by Darren Barnet, shows up abruptly after Bea’s parents invite him to attempt to get back together with Bea. The other wedding guests attempt to get Ben and Bea together to make sure the wedding goes well. Bea sees right through their attempt and goes to Ben to come up with a plan to get them to stop. 

The two come up with the idea to pretend they got together to satisfy the other wedding guests, get Bea’s family off her back about Johnathan, and make Ben’s ex-girlfriend Margot jealous so he can get back with her. 

After fake dating for a couple of days, Ben and Bea realize they may have true feelings for one another but they both deny it at first.

Ben and Margot have a moment together and it upsets Bea and she runs off from the wedding. Ben realizes how much he messed up and runs after her. Ben finds Bea and apologizes and confesses that he has true feelings for her and lost any old feelings he had for Margot. Bea expresses she also has feelings for Ben and they begin to date officially. 

The movie ends with Ben and Bea returning to the wedding as a couple.

My favorite thing about this movie was how funny it was. The majority of the movie was a comedy but they incorporated the romance and seriousness well. I also liked how well the character’s personalities fit each actor perfectly. 

I overall loved this movie and would recommend anyone to watch it if you enjoy rom-coms.

View Comments (1)