Review: ‘Shadowhunters,’ a Teenage Fantasy Series

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a fantasy world? In the T.V. show, “Shadowhunters,” Clary Fray gets the chance to know what that’s like.

Clray grew up as a normal human, or mundane as the shadowhunters call them, her whole life. At least until her 18th birthday when she runs into Jace Wayland outside a well-known club. Jace is a shadowhunter and has runes that help with almost everything. The specific rune he used that night hid him from the mundanes, but Clary could see him. That’s how it started. Clary is a shadowhunter.

As the show goes on, Clary and Jace fight demons alongside Jace’s closest friends Alec and Izzy Lightwood, a warlock Magnus Bane, and Clary’s best friend Simon Lewis. The four of them find out that Clary’s real father is actually their worst enemy. Most of the show is about them trying to find him and stop him from destroying the downworld. The downworld consists of vampires, warlocks, werewolves, and seelies.

The show is easy to understand and the plot is great, but the first season was rough. It took the whole first season for the actors and the directors to figure out what actions and dialogue fit the characters. Throughout the first season the characters would do or say something random and out of character that made no sense to who they were as a person. But as the second and third season went on, everyone got it right and the plot flowed with the characters much better.

Personally, at the beginning I was disappointed, but as I kept watching I got more and more hooked and think the show is great. I think the show could use some more real emotions from the characters and they could focus on present character development rather than trying to get the characters’ backstories set.

If you enjoy fantasy shows and teen dramas, this show may be for you. I would definitely recommend it to anyone new to fantasy because “Shadowhunters” is very easy to follow unlike most fantasy shows.