Room temperature restrictions cause discomfort

This far into the year, with 100 degree temperatures raging outside almost constantly, we are probably all familiar with the hot, steamy classrooms we are herded into seven different times each day. After a long walk in from the parking lot or the opposite building, a cool room would be a relief. Yet when asked to turn the air up a little, each teacher is forced to explain to their students that the thermostat no longer allows the temperature to go below 73 degrees. As a result, students feel uncomfortable and irritable in a setting that is supposed to allow them to relax and learn.
Not allowing teachers to control the temperature of their rooms and meet the needs of their students is ridiculous and inconsiderate.
The Amarillo temperatures lately have obviously been extreme, which is dangerous to the health and well-being of citizens. It is expected that air conditioners will be cranked up in order to keep everyone at a reasonable level of comfort. This is substantial and extremely important. When the classrooms become hot and stuffy, students and teachers are more worn out, tired and distressed. No one wants to be cooped up in hot a room and expected to stay patient and learn to the best of their ability. It just won’t happen.
It is proven that warm temperatures in tranquil classrooms allow student’s brains to resort back to sleep mode. Spending an hour dozing off is obviously not allowing the student to reach their full potential, causing them to miss important lessons, which will eventually result in a drop of grades. Hardworking teachers, who are up moving around the room most of the day, cannot enjoy teaching in a hot environment. This will cause teachers to become more relaxed as well as frustrated with their snoozing students.
When the temperature rises, tolerance for others drops. As many as 30 students are kept in classrooms all at once. As warm bodies are crammed within a room together and drastic outside heat rushes in through open doors between passing periods, the heat rises even further. Students and teachers quickly become annoyed, bothered and irritated causing even more problems for everyone.
If teachers became allowed to control the temperatures inside their own classrooms, students and teachers both would become alert, refreshed and ready to learn. Not allowing this takes away comfort and relaxation from everyone.

View Comments (1)